The AU NROTC Alumni Association was founded in 1994 by Eugene Thompson, Alan Reeves and Brook Wright to support the unit students' educational needs, to promote activities of a patriotic nature, and to provide social and recreational activities for its members. In 1995 the AU NROTC Alumni Association Endowment Fund for Scholarships was created through the generosity of association members to fund annual leadership scholarships. The organization grew to over 100 dues-paying members and 9 active directors during the 1990s.
During the past 20 years member donations, in the form of annual dues, have provided leadership scholarships, computer lab equipment and software, digital support equipment, professional development activities for unit students, and recreational gatherings for alumni members. This alumni support essentially filled some gaps in the Navy funding of the units.
These activities were made possible through the volunteer efforts of a board of directors that managed alumni contact efforts, activity planning and execution, budgeting of resources, and selection of scholarship recipients.
In 2012, the directors elected to reorganize the association from a dues-paying association of limited membership to one that includes all graduates, spouses and unit staff as members. In order to support the future educational and professional development needs of students, the AU NROTC Alumni Association Endowed Fund for Excellence was created. This fund, managed by the Auburn University Foundation, provides direct financial proceeds to the Professor of Naval Science annually. Therefore, PNS will be able to make unit financial support decisions in a timely and effective manner irrespective of the volunteer presence of directors.
Our hope is to always have a robust alumni presence at our beloved NROTC unit, but the directors thought it best to plan for periods during which there may be a gap in alumni director leadership. Through this general endowment, the PNS will be able to fill gaps in Navy funding in perpetuity.
Board of Directors:
Scott E. Smith, '81, Aviation Management
CDR, USN, aviator, A-7/FA-18, retired
Robert L. "Bob" Harned, '81, Aviation Management
CDR, USN, aviator, H-3/H-60, retired
Willie B. Billingslea
CAPT, USN, retired
Lt Col, USMC, artillery officer / judge advocate, retired
Major, USMC, former AU NROTC MOI, retired
CDR, USN, P-3, retired
LtCol, USMC, infantry, retired
Status of Endowments:
- Scholarship Endowment: An established endowment that typically funds 2-4 $1000 leadership scholarships annually. The current balance is over $70,000.
- Fund for Excellence: A fund established for programmatic support of the NROTC Unit students. The fund is still growing and the current balance is over $33,000. Minimum value to support current activities is $50,000.
How to Support and Give Back:
1. Click on the button on the upper left side of this page labeled "Give to NROTC." Click on that link and the
Naval ROTC Alumni Association Endowed Fund for Excellence will automatically load on the AU Gift Processing page. The rest of the procedures should be menu driven.
2. If you would prefer to simply mail a check, you must annotate the following on the memo line: NROTC FFE #693620. That will ensure the contribution makes it to the correct fund. The address is...
Gift Processing, Auburn University
317 South College Street
Auburn, AL 36849
3. Should you wish to consult with a Gift Processing representative you can call the main office number at 334-844-1142. These folks are more than happy to help, to include taking your credit card or bank draft information and doing the processing for you! The web site is www.develop.auburn.edu
- AU Armed Forces Appreciation football game vs Ole Miss, October 7th, time TBD
- Contact Scott Smith at email@example.com for details
Last : March 26, 2018