Auburn University - TITLE IX

I Want to Report an Incident

We at Auburn University recognize that deciding to report sexual misconduct (i.e. sexual assault, domestic/dating violence or stalking) and choosing how to proceed are difficult decisions.

Immediate Medical Concerns

If you are concerned about your safety or need immediate medical attention, call 911 or go to the local hospital.

East Alabama Medical Center
2000 Pepperell Parkway, Opelika
Hours: Available 24/7

  • Provides treatment of injuries sustained during a sexual assault or as a result of domestic/dating violence

  • If you have been sexually assaulted, go to the emergency room where a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE) can collect physical evidence with a sexual assault forensic exam (commonly referred to as a “rape kit”). The forensic exam is provided at no cost and does not require filing a police report. To protect evidence, avoid bathing, brushing teeth or washing clothing or sheets. If you change clothes, place the clothing, along with sheets or other items in a paper bag and take them to the hospital with you.

  • If you do not opt for the forensic exam, medical staff can treat injuries and take steps to address concerns of pregnancy and/or sexually transmitted infections (STI).

  • Referrals can be made to community organizations, such as Rape Counselors of East Alabama or Unity Wellness Center, for follow-up counseling and support.

  • Social work services are available during select hours.

  • Emergency Transport Services (ground and air) are available if a higher level of care is warranted.

Confidential Assistance

You can discuss your reporting options and how to proceed with a confidential resource to make a decision that feels best for you.

Safe Harbor
2103 Student Center
334-844-7233 (4-SAFE)
Office Hours: 7:45 a.m.-4:45 p.m., M-F
Phone: Available 24/7

Advocates provide free, confidential support for students and employees who have experienced sexual assault, domestic/dating violence and/or stalking, including:
  • Emotional support

  • Assistance with arranging reasonable and appropriate academic and housing accommodations

  • Requesting protective orders

  • Information about reporting options

  • Support in deciding what is most helpful for you as the victim

Your confidentiality will be protected to the extent possible. In some cases, university personnel may need to disclose some information about you to other university personnel or an outside agency in order to provide necessary accommodations or protective measures. In these cases, only the information that is necessary to provide the accommodations or protective measures will be disclosed.

For additional support resources, see I Want to Talk to Someone.

Police Reporting

If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911 immediately.

Victims of sexual assault, domestic/dating violence or stalking are encouraged to report incidents to police. A Safe Harbor advocate can accompany them to the appropriate law enforcement agency:

      Auburn Police Division
      161 North Ross Street, Auburn
      Hours: Available 24/7

      • Provides professional police services to the City of Auburn, including the campus of Auburn University

      **Auburn Police substation on campus**
      In the Student Center, adjacent to the Tiger Transit office
      Hours: 8 a.m.-7 p.m., M-F
      Emergency phone (outside substation): Available 24/7, dials directly to city’s dispatch center

      Opelika Police Department
      501 South 10th Street, Opelika
      334-745-8665 (secret witness hotline)
      Hours: Available 24/7

      • Provides professional police services to the City of Opelika

      Lee County Sheriff’s Office
      1900 Frederick Road, Opelika
      Hours: Available 24/7

      • Provides professional law enforcement to unincorporated areas of Lee County

If the violence occurred in another state, you can visit or 800-656-HOPE to locate the nearest police contact or advocacy service.

If you are studying abroad, you can call Safe Harbor at 334-844-7233 (24/7) or the Auburn Abroad Director Deborah Weiss at 334-524-4921. You can also call United Healthcare Global’s Emergency Assistance Services at 410-453-6330. Have your UHG card ready.

University Reporting

Report sexual misconduct or discrimination to:

Kelley Taylor
Title IX Coordinator, Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Office
317 James E. Foy Hall

An online reporting form can be found here. These reports are sent directly to the Title IX Coordinator.

The Title IX Coordinator is required to take action, such as generally conducting an investigation, on all complaints made to the office. The coordinator facilitates thorough and equitable investigations and can provide students and employees with interim measures to ensure a safe, non-hostile environment.

After the investigation, more permanent accommodations and safety measures may be implemented that could include a no-contact directive and accommodations for academics, living, transportation and working, as well as university disciplinary sanctions under the Title IX policy.

University reporting can also be made to a Deputy Title IX Coordinator:

Lady Cox
Assistant Vice President for Student Engagement
3248 Student Center

Monique Holland
Senior Assoc. AD for Student Athlete Experience
Deputy Title IX Coordinator

Who can make a report of sexual misconduct?

Reports may be made by:

  • Anyone who has experienced sexual misconduct;

  • Anyone who receives a report from someone who experienced sexual misconduct; and/or

  • Anyone who witnesses or otherwise has information that sexual misconduct may have occurred.

In most instances, the individual or department receiving the initial information will report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator for follow up. Faculty and staff who are made aware of sexual misconduct must immediately report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator.

It is your right – your choice – to report the incident to police or not. Reports made to the university and reports made to the police are separate and parallel. Utilizing campus resources, such as Safe Harbor or Student Counseling Services, does not automatically require a report of the incident be made to the police. The Title IX Coordinator will not notify police, unless directed by the victim or if the victim is a minor (as required by Alabama law), but will conduct an investigation that could lead to university action. The university’s disciplinary procedures for alleged sexual assault, domestic/dating violence and stalking can be found at An overview of the university’s disciplinary procedures can be found in this document.

Although you can report sexual misconduct at any time, we encourage you to report incidents to local law enforcement immediately. Calling 911 is always the fastest way no matter where the event occurred. Otherwise contact the appropriate agency:

  • In the City of Auburn (including Auburn University), Auburn Police Division at 334-501-3100

  • In the City of Opelika, Opelika Police Department at 334-705-5220

  • In the unincorporated areas of Lee County, Alabama, Lee County Sheriff’s Office at 334-794-5651

Police have unique legal authority, including the power to seek and execute search warrants, collect forensic evidence, make arrests and assist in seeking emergency protective orders. Although a police report may be made at any time, victims/complainants should be aware that a statute of limitations may apply to certain crimes in Alabama, which could be as low as one year. Auburn University will assist you in notifying law enforcement if requested.

If you are unsure of what to do next, you may find the I Don’t Know What to Do page helpful.

If you choose to report the incident to the police, you can have an advocate or staff member from the university make the arrangements or even accompany you. Additionally, if you wish, the university can implement appropriate interim steps to provide for your safety, as well as the campus community, and to avoid retaliation. Examples of such steps include issuing a no contact order and/or making temporary accommodations with regard to housing, course schedules, work schedules, transportation and other related matters.

Last Updated: October 27, 2015