|Students & Alumni||Faculty & Staff||Calendars||Resources||Links|
Classroom Scheduling Policy
(Effective Fall, 2000; rev. June 2006)
This policy provides for effective and efficient scheduling of University classrooms to optimize the use of University facilities and to maximize availability of classes to the students of Auburn University.
1. The Office of the Registrar is charged with the responsibility of scheduling all general purpose classrooms and laboratories. To facilitate this activity, that Office will utilize room scheduling optimization software in concert with BANNER. Priority structure parameters will be approved by the Provost following consultation with College/School representatives.
2. General purpose classrooms and laboratories (as opposed to departmental classrooms and laboratories) will be designated by the Office of the Provost.
3. Class Scheduling Periods-
Class scheduling periods are identified in one of five categories:
Category A: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the following times:
Category B: Tuesday and Thursday at the following times:
Category C: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the following times:
Category D: Tuesday and Thursday at the following times:
Category E: Special scheduling periods:
-5:00 pm or later (MWF)
-6:30 pm or later (TH)
4. Class scheduling -
a - No more than 60% of a department's undergraduate classes including core curriculum courses will be offered in periods defined as Category A and Category B. (See Notes 1 and 2 below)
b - No less than 10% of a department's undergraduate classes including core curriculum courses will be offered in Category C.
c - No less than 20% of a department's undergraduate classes including core curriculum courses will be offered in Categories B and D. (See Notes 1 and 2 below)
d - No more than one-half of the sections of a department's total offerings of multi-section courses will be scheduled at the 9:00 am, 10:00 am or 11:00 am hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday or 9:30 am or 11:00 am on Tuesday and Thursday. (See Notes 1 and 2 below)
e - Classes scheduled at the 4:00 pm period (MWF) may be scheduled for more than 50 minutes on Mondays and/or Wednesdays to avoid Friday afternoon meetings.
f - Classes scheduled in Category A and C periods will start at the times indicated in 3 above and will have a duration of no more than 50 minutes. Note exception in preceding section d.
g - Classes scheduled in Category B and D periods will start at the times indicated in 3 above and will have a duration of no more than 75 minutes.
h - Classes scheduled in the special scheduling periods (Category E) will be given latitude in days of week offered, start time and duration. However, total duration must be consistent with credit hours awarded.
i - Double period scheduling for undergraduate classes is restricted to specific laboratory and studio courses and must be authorized by the respective dean(s) and the Provost.
Note 1: Meeting times at courses which carry 4 hours credit and are scheduled to meet for four 50-minute periods per week (MTWF, MWRF, MTRF) may be prorated across requirements specified in a and b above.
Note 2: Combination lecture/laboratory classes may use both lecture period and lab period start times to meet requirements specified in a, b, c and d above.
5. Any exceptions to these policies must be approved in advance by the Provost's Office.
6. Conscientious adherence to these guidelines by department heads and chairs will provide the Registrar's Office with a maximum opportunity to create semester class schedules that both meet the needs of students and faculty and address concerns for optimum use of University facilities.