Transfer Students




Welcome to Auburn University’s Office of the Registrar transfer student page!  We hope that you will find the information below helpful during your transition to Auburn University.  The transfer equivalency tables and our FAQ page can be accessed by viewing the helpful links at the bottom of the page.  Welcome to Auburn University and WAR EAGLE!!

Transcript Policy
Evaluation of Transfer Credit
General Information
Helpful Links

Transcript Policy and Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Transcript Policy

Transcripts must be official and must be mailed directly from the school to Auburn University. Auburn does not accept transcripts issued to the student, mailed by the student, or faxed copies. Auburn will only accept a hand-delivered copy of the official transcript if it is unopened in a sealed envelope from the transfer institution.

If you will be a first-time Auburn undergraduate student, transcripts should be mailed to:

Admission Processing
1550 East Glenn Ave, Suite 1210
Auburn, AL 36849

If you are currently an Auburn undergraduate student, or are a returning Auburn undergraduate student, transcripts should be mailed to:

The Office of the Registrar
152 S. College Ave.
Auburn, AL 36849

Evaluation of Transfer Credit

College transcripts will be evaluated after a student has been accepted by the Office of Admissions.  The evaluation process may take time, depending upon the courses taken and the location of the institution.  Submitting Official Transcripts as quickly as possible will help ensure the Auburn credit awarded will show on the student’s record before the SOS Orientation session.  
Auburn University will accept transfer credit of similar content from accredited institutions (see below for specifics).  Coursework that is technical or remedial in nature is generally not accepted for credit at Auburn.  Students may receive specific course credit or general elective credit for courses taken at other institutions.  Transfer courses that are considered ‘Core’ will be evaluated in the Office of the Registrar by the University Transcript Evaluator.  All other courses will be routed to the respective department for review. 
Transfer credit will be applied as appropriate to a student’s degree program.  The authority to apply transferred credit toward degree requirements rests with the student’s college of enrollment.  Transferring between colleges within Auburn University will not affect the equivalencies established for a student’s transfer work, but may affect the applicability of the credit towards the new degree program.
Transfer grade point averages are calculated by Auburn based on all college work attempted and may differ from averages calculated by other institutions.  The official Auburn University grade point average is based only on coursework completed at Auburn and does not include transfer grades.

Accreditation and General Information


  1. Collegiate work will be considered for transfer credit from post-secondary institutions that are accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations listed below:
    1. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    2. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    3. New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    4. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior Colleges and Junior Colleges
  2. Collegiate work from post-secondary institutions not fully accredited by regional accrediting associations may be granted provisional credit.  Approval must be sought by the student via written petition to the Dean.
  3. Collegiate work will be considered for transfer credit for courses completed at colleges and universities outside of the United States that are accredited or approved by the Ministry of Education (or other appropriate governmental agency) of the country in which they are located.  International students will need to submit two (2) types of their official transcripts or official records for review.  One copy will need to be an official university transcript translated into English by an official translation agency.  The second copy will need to be sent to an independent credential evaluator.  The student will need to request a course-by-course evaluation with a GPA calculation from one of the evaluators.  For further information about the requirements, please see the Admissions page for Prospective International students.   

General Information

  1. The evaluation and award of Auburn University transfer credit for coursework will be based on official transcripts.  To be eligible for evaluation, coursework must appear on an official transcript from the institution that offered the coursework and initially conferred the credit.
  2. Auburn University follows a semester calendar and awards credits earned in semester hours.  Earned hours taken at an institution on non-semester based academic calendars will be converted to semester credits and reported on the Auburn University transcript as semester hours.
  3. Credit granted at another institution for non-traditional experiences (i.e. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, military training, etc.) will not automatically be applied to a student’s record at Auburn University.  The student must submit official documentation from the original provider of the non-traditional experience.
  4. The following types of credit are not transferrable and will not count towards a degree.  These courses will not be included on the Auburn University transcript.
    1. Remedial or developmental courses
    2. Technical courses
    3. Occupational, vocational and some workforce courses from two-year institutions
    4. Courses classified as below freshman level by the originating institution
  5. Courses taken at a two-year institution will be given lower division (1000 and 2000 level) credit only.  Undergraduate courses from four-year baccalaureate degree-granting institutions may transfer at the same level (lower or upper division), as they were taken.
  6. Credit is granted based on coursework earned, not degrees.  Students transferring to Auburn University with an Associate’s degree may not automatically be granted junior standing.
  7. If a student has repeated a course at another institution, all occurrences of the course, including grades, will be posted to the Auburn University transcript. 
  8. Credit in which a grade of F was earned is not applicable and will not count towards a degree.  However, the course, hours, and grade are included in the Auburn University transcript and calculated in the grade point average.
  9. Students are required to submit official transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended.  All transferable work will be posted to the Auburn University transcript.  Students are not able to pick and choose specific courses for transfer.

Helpful Links for Prospective Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Auburn University Transfer Course Equivalency Tables

AP, IB, CLEP Credit

Academic Advising

Statewide Transfer & Articulation Reporting System (STARS)

Auburn Core Curriculum

Admissions for Prospective Transfers

Successfully Orienting Students (SOS)

Auburn University | Auburn, Alabama 36849 | (334) 844-2544 |
Website Feedback | Privacy | Copyright ©