Intensive Economic Development Training Course
Due to the threat of severe weather associated with Hurrican Irma, week two (September 11-14, 2017) of our Intensive Economic Develpment course has been cancelled. Students will be re-scheduled for the week two session during September of 2018.
A two-week course introducing participants to all phases of economic development.
The Intensive Economic Development Training Course is an annual two-week course presented by the Government & Economic Development Institute (GEDI).
The course is divided into two one-week sessions and introduces participants to all phases of economic development. Program leaders and faculty have proven success in economic development practices and techniques. Instructors represent the field’s most effective practitioners from throughout the state and nation.
The first week of the Intensive Course is accredited by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) and fulfills one of the prerequisites for those who wish to take the exam for the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation. It provides an intensive overview of general economic development concepts and principles.
The second week focuses on important issues and resources and is especially valuable to economic developers and community leaders practicing in Alabama.
With over 30 years of experience, GEDI is the state’s leading provider of economic development education and training.
The first week of the 2017 Intensive Course was held on July 10-14, 2017. The second week will be conducted September 11-14, 2017 at the Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika, located at 2555 Hilton Garden Drive in Auburn.
Who Should Attend
- Local, Regional, and State-Level Economic Development Professionals
- Economic / Industrial Development Board Members
- Chamber of Commerce Officials
- State / Local Elected Officials
- Community Leaders
- County Commissioners
- Utility Company Representatives
- Community / Regional Planners
The course will be moderated by GEDI Executive Director Dr. Joe A. Sumners.
Please find a list of selected course topics included below:
Session I Topics
- Trends in Economic Development
- Workforce Development and Training
- Community Development Fundamentals and Success Models
- Marketing and Business Attraction
- Business Retention and Expansion
- Web and Social Media Marketing Strategies
- Strategic Planning for Economic Development
- Real Estate Development and Reuse
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development
- Economic Development Finance
- Site Selection Case Study Exercise
- Economic Development Ethics
- Building and Managing Economic Development Organization
Session II Topics
- The History of Economic Development in Alabama
- Alabama Government and Economic Development
- Economic Development from the Company’s Perspective
- Alabama Education and Workforce Development
- Recruiting Hyundai: The Montgomery Experience
- Retail as an Essential Economic Development Strategy
- International Trade and Investment
- Rural Development Strategies
- Alabama Programs and Resources to Support Economic Development
- Alabama Economic Development Roundtable
- Field Trip: Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Last Updated: September 28, 2017