Intensive Economic Development Training Course
A two-week course introducing participants to all phases of economic development.
The Intensive Economic Development Training Course is an annual two-week course presented by the Government & Economic Development Institute (GEDI).
The course is divided into two one-week sessions and introduces participants to all phases of economic development. Program leaders and faculty have proven success in economic development practices and techniques. Instructors represent the field’s most effective practitioners from throughout the state and nation.
The first week of the Intensive Course is accredited by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) and fulfills one of the prerequisites for those who wish to take the exam for the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation. It provides an intensive overview of general economic development concepts and principles.
The second week focuses on important issues and resources and is especially valuable to economic developers and community leaders practicing in Alabama.
With 35 years of experience, GEDI is the state’s leading provider of economic development education and training.
The first week of the 2019 Intensive Course will be held on July 8-12, 2019. The second week will be conducted September 9-12, 2019 at The Hotel at Auburn University & Dixon Conference Center, located at 241 South College Street in Auburn.
Who Should Attend
- Local, Regional, and State-Level Economic Development Professionals
- Economic / Industrial Development Board Members
- Chamber of Commerce Officials
- State / Local Elected Officials
- Community Leaders
- County Commissioners
- Utility Company Representatives
- Community / Regional Planners
The course will be moderated by GEDI Executive Director Dr. Joe A. Sumners.
Session I Topics
- Trends in Economic Development
- Workforce Development and Training
- Community Development Fundamentals and Success Models
- Marketing and Business Attraction
- Business Retention and Expansion
- Web and Social Media Marketing Strategies
- Strategic Planning for Economic Development
- Real Estate Development and Reuse
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development
- Economic Development Finance
- Site Selection Case Study Exercise
- Economic Development Ethics
- Building and Managing Economic Development Organization
Session II Topics
- The History of Economic Development in Alabama
- Alabama Government and Economic Development
- Economic Development from the Company’s Perspective
- Alabama Education and Workforce Development
- Recruiting Hyundai: The Montgomery Experience
- Retail as an Essential Economic Development Strategy
- International Trade and Investment
- Rural Development Strategies
- Alabama Programs and Resources to Support Economic Development
- Alabama Economic Development Roundtable
- Field Trip: Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Agenda - Week 1: July 8-12, 2019
Check back soon for an updated agenda!
Intensive Economic Development Training Course – Week One
- Dates: July 8-12, 2019
- Location: The Hotel at Auburn University, Auburn, AL – Map/Directions
- Note: The Registration Fee of $650 is for both Week One and Week Two. If registering after June 17th, the registration fee is $700. Those who enroll in Week One will automatically be enrolled in Week Two. If you are making up Week One from a prior year and have already paid for this course, please contact Leslie Hamby to be enrolled manually in order to avoid double billing at GEDI@auburn.edu or call 334-844-4782. The Recommended Textbook is optional and can be ordered at any time for an additional $35.
Provided that space is available, receipt of the registration form, email or online enrollment constitutes registration. Written cancellations, received fifteen (15) working days prior to the beginning of the program will be honored with a partial refund of the registration fee, but will be assessed a $50 administrative charge. Due to commitments to instructors and meeting facilities, late cancellations or non-attendance will not be refunded, and full payment is required. Substitutions for registered participants may be made at any time.
If you have questions about enrollment, invoices or payments, or cancellations for the Intensive Course , please contact Leslie Hamby at GEDI@auburn.edu, or call 334-844-4782. Thank you.
Participants are responsible for their own accommodations. A room block is available at The Hotel at Auburn University with a special room rate of $132 per night, plus applicable taxes, for each session of the Intensive Course.
The deadline to book a room in week one is June 17, 2019, and for week two it is August 19, 2019. It is recommended that students book early as the room block usually fills up quickly.
Hotel Parking Fees:
- Self-Parking (when available) $5.00 per vehicle for day time
- Overnight Valet Parking $10 per vehicle
Certificates and Attendance Policy:
Session I participants will receive a certificate of completion for the IEDC-accredited Auburn University Basic Economic Development Course. Participants who attend both Sessions I and II will receive a certificate of completion for the Intensive Economic Development Training Course. Students must be present for 90% of the course in order to receive a course certificate. Only illness, a family emergency, or a business emergency constitute an excused absence.
For more information about the course, please contact:
Last Updated: March 14, 2019