Auburn University Summer English School – June 6 - July 1, 2016
The Auburn University Summer English School is a collaborative effort between Auburn City Schools and the Auburn University Office of Professional and Continuing Education. This program was developed in 2008 in order to meet the English language learning needs of non-English speaking students in the area. The program provides 57 classroom hours of instruction in English reading, writing, speaking and listening skills for K-9th grade non-English speaking international students and adults.
- Improve the participants' English reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills
- Enhance the participants' knowledge of American culture and history
- Strengthen the partnerships among the community, local schools, and the university
- Promote cultural exchange among educators, parents, students, and community members
- Provide educational services that support the economic development of the community
Classes are instructed by highly qualified, certified State of Alabama teachers. Many of the teachers are from the Auburn City School System. They are experts in their field and many have been instructors for the Summer English School for a number of years.
Participants will be assigned to a basic or advanced class based on their English language proficiency. Proficiency will be judged based on a placement inventory that will be taken on the first day. The curriculum for the courses will be chosen based off of the state of Alabama Course of Study Standards in collaboration with the recommendations of grade-level certified teachers. Students will focus on reading, writing, speaking skills, listening skills, and test preparatory skills.
- Kindergarten – 1st grade
- 2nd – 3rd grade
- 4th – 5th grade
- 6th – 7th grade
- 8th – 9th grade
- Adult Conversation Class
Participants will need to register for the course that shows the grade level they will be entering in the Fall of 2016.
The instructional activities for this program will be held at Pick Elementary School.
1320 N College St, Auburn, AL 36830
- Before May 2, 2016: $300
- After May 2, 2016: $335
A $35 discount per participant off of current price if registering two or more family members. You must fill out a separate registration form for each participant
A limited number of half scholarships are available ($150). To qualify, students must be on the Auburn City Schools list of students who receive free or reduced lunch.
- Grades K–1: Click here to Register
- Grades 2–3: Click here to Register
- Grades 4–5: Click here to Register
- Grades 6–8: Click here to Register
- Grades 9–12: Click here to Register
- Adult Conversation: Click here to Register
We will host two in person Registration dates; one at Yarbrough Elementary School and one at Auburn Early Education Center. An Auburn City Schools’ faculty member and staff member will be available to assist in the registration process.
Dates to follow.
Last Updated: March 9, 2016