Auburn University websites and online applications must comply with Section 508 Standard § 1194.22. Auburn has chosen to adopt the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG) - Level A and AA, which is more comprehensive than Section 508.
Use this checklist for the detailed specifications required:
The WCAG 2.0 is divided into 4 areas. In general they can be described as follows:
- Provide text alternatives for non-text content.
- Provide captions and alternatives for audio and video content.
- Make content adaptable; and make it available to assistive technologies.
- Use sufficient contrast to make things easy to see and hear.
- Make all functionality keyboard accessible.
- Give users enough time to read and use content.
- Do not use content that causes seizures.
- Help users navigate and find content.
- Make text readable and understandable.
- Make content appear and operate in predictable ways.
- Help users avoid and correct mistakes.
- Maximize compatibility with current and future technologies.
Validate your accessiblity using: WAVE or the Siteimprove Extension for Google Chrome. If you are interested in having your website scanned on a recurring basis, contact the AU Web Administrator about using Siteimprove
For questions about implementing or understanding the accessibility guidelines, please contact the AU Web Administrator