Instructions for the Wear and Care of a Face Mask
Face masks: Wear one when you go out or interact with others, and insist that others who come into your home wear one.
How to put on a face mask:
- Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer before touching the mask.
- Determine which side of the mask is the top. The top side of the mask has a bump that is meant to cover your nose.
- Determine which side of the mask is the front. The woven fabric side of the mask, typically more decorative, is the front and should face away from you, while the softer, knit fabric side touches your face.
- For a Face Mask with Ties: Bring the top of the mask over your nose, and bring the top set of ties over the crown of your head and secure with a bow. Then tie the lower set of ties behind your neck with a bow.
- Adjust the mask to cover your mouth, chin, and nose. Do not touch the front of the mask from now on until it is laundered. If you must adjust the mask, use a tissue and discard the tissue, then wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
How to remove a face mask:
- Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer before touching the mask. Do NOT touch the front of the mask. Always consider the front of the mask as being contaminated. Only touch the ties.
- Lift the washing machine lid or fill a sink with hot soapy water or open a bag to seal the mask in.
- For Face Mask with Ties: Untie the bottom bow first, then untie the top bow and pull the mask away from you as the ties are loosened.
- Drop the mask in the washing machine OR in a sink with hot soapy water, or in a bag to seal for washing later. If dropped in a sink, submerge and wash vigorously for at least 20 seconds. Rinse and hang to dry, or place in the dryer. If placed in a washing machine, wash with hot water. If placed in a bag, be sure to launder or wash later and dispose of the bag.
- Again, clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
Last Updated: April 15, 2020