Geosciences Onboarding Guide

Pages 6-9




You must complete Lab Safety Training through RMS before using any AU analytical facilities


EMPA (Electron Microprobe Analysis) Facility

Set up an appointment with Dr. Bill Hames (EMPA Facility Director) to get trained on using the Electron Microprobe facility. EMPA permits the analysis of any element from beryllium (Be) to uranium (U), with detection limit as low as 50-100 ppm for some elements.


X-Ray (XRD/XRF) Facility

You must have completed the Radiation Safety Training offered by Risk Management & Safety (RMS) before you can request access. To request access, you must first be trained to use the instruments housed in the X-Ray Facility. To schedule Radiation Safety Training, contact the X-Ray Facility Director, Dr. Zeki Billor. XRD can be used to determine the internal structure and mineral contents of natural and industrial materials.  XRF provides fast, nondestructive elemental analysis with detection limit near tens of ppm for most elements.


ICP-MS Facility

Set up an appointment with Dr. Zeki Billor (ICP-MS Facility Director) to get trained on using the ICP-MS. ICP-MS can measure trace elements at very low detection limits (to ppt levels) as well as major elements (at ppm levels).


Auburn Noble Isotope Mass Analysis Laboratory (ANIMAL)

Set up an appointment with Dr. Bill Hames (ANIMAL Facility Director) to get trained on using the Noble Isotope Mass Analysis facility. ANIMAL is dedicated to providing high-quality 40Ar/39Ar age determinations for deciphering Earth’s history


GC-MS Facility

Set up an appointment with Dr. Ann Ojeda (Contaminants Lab Director) to get trained on using the GC-MS facility. The Contaminants Lab hosts analytical instruments to characterize and quantify organic matter in water systems and equipment for extracting and analyzing organic matter from rocks and sediments.


Stable Isotopes Facility

Set up an appointment with Dr. Ann Ojeda (Contaminants Lab Director) to get trained on using the IRMS facility. The lab provides high precision stable isotope (C, O, H) analysis for water and solid samples.


Trace Metal Radiogenic Isotope Facility

Set up an appointment with Dr. Haibo Zou (TIMS Lab Director) to get trained on using the TIMS facility. The instruments provide highly accurate and precise analysis of Nd, Sr, Pb, U, Th and other isotopes in rocks, minerals, and other materials.





COSAM IT can help you with technology support requests or questions. If you need help setting up a computer or printer, or if you have any questions related to networks, servers, computers, printers, classroom A/V systems, etc., or if you need help removing a hard drive from a computer that you are sending to Surplus – contact COSAM IT.


The easiest way to contact COSAM IT is to submit an email to COSAM Helpdesk.


If you need to talk to someone at COSAM IT in person, make an appointment before visiting their office. They are located in the Leach Science Center basement, Room 0173. Access to the basement is locked, as it is a secure research space, so when you arrive, use the telephone next to the vending machines by the first-floor elevator to call them at (334) 844-5712. Someone will meet you on the first floor.





To request a new phone line or to change an existing phone line, contact Anthony Hall.





To request a room in Geosciences and all other on-campus, send an email or reach out to Ashleigh Rudd and include the requested time, location, and reason for the event.





For questions about travel and meal reimbursements, contact Ashleigh Rudd. She can also provide you with the “Business/Guest Meal Reimbursement” form and “Request for Authority to Travel” form. Before you head off on a business trip (conference, invited talk, etc.), make sure to fill out a Request for Authority to Travel form, listing estimated or actual expenses, then make a copy and turn in the original to Ashleigh. Students – have your research advisor sign your forms. When you return, bring your copy of the form and your itemized receipts to Ashleigh.


AU Travel Policies (PDF) – This document contains the university’s travel policies.





For questions about obtaining a Purchasing Card and its use and policy, contact Ashleigh Rudd. All applicants will be required to complete a Purchasing Card Cardholder Application Form ‐ BO 99‐10, an on‐line training session, and a written Purchasing Card test before obtaining the card. All purchases made on the card should be for official University business.

Purchasing Card Policy (PDF) – This document contains the university’s P-card policies





If you need to request a work order for something to be fixed in your lab or office, contact:

Lab: Anthony Hall

Office and building: Ashleigh Rudd or Kiley Coan


*Note that any of these people can submit a work order request for you, regardless of whether it’s lab or office or building related.


Examples of lab-related work order requests: fume hood problems, broken sink/faucet, HVAC problems, water leaks/flooding, door lock problems, eye wash problems, installation of new electrical outlets, power shutdown, electrical problems, light bulb replacement, investigation of weird smells, etc.


Examples of office- and building-related work order requests: mounting of white boards and other heavy things on walls, issues with the washrooms, cleaning services, light bulb replacement, abnormal office temperature, problems with the ice makers, water leaks, etc.





There’s an important number that everyone should know – the AU Work Management Help Line:

844-HELP (or 844-4357)


Calls to this number are answered by Facilities Management staff from 6:00 am – 5:00 pm on weekdays. For after-work hours (5:00 pm – 6:00 am) and weekends and holidays, calls are forwarded to an answering service, but if it is an emergency, someone will be on it immediately.

For example, if you’re working in the lab in the evening or on the weekend, and you notice water dripping or pouring down from the ceiling, call this number. They will get someone out to you as soon as they can.


*If there’s a life-threatening emergency, always call 911.