White coat ceremony welcomes new Rural Medicine Program students
“Welcoming a new class of Rural Medicine Program students directly impacts the state of Alabama and future healthcare for our residents in smaller communities that may not be able to receive medical care,” said the College of Sciences and Mathematics' Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Robert Boyd.
On Monday, August 16 at 6 p.m., this year’s class of Rural Medicine Program (RMP) students participated in a white coat ceremony at East Alabama Medical Center or EAMC in Opelika, AL.
The RMP offers hands-on experience, advice from seasoned professionals, and instruction for a year before the students begin medical school at the University of Alabama Birmingham.
“Since all RMP students are from small communities, sometimes with a population in just the hundreds, this program helps them realize their dreams to practice rural medicine,” Boyd added.
The RMP 2021-2026 class includes the following students with undergraduate degrees from these colleges and universities and their hometowns:
- Nolan Baker, Florida College, Warrior, AL
- Chandler Davis, Troy University, Rehobeth, AL
- Chandler Flanigan, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Hanceville, AL
- Wade Jones, Auburn University, Guntersville, AL
- Skyler Pavlou, Auburn University, Spanish Fort, AL
- Cameron Roddy, Birmingham Southern University, Sheffield, AL
- David Russo, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Springville, AL
- Nicole Tyler, Troy University, Wetumpka, AL
- Sydney Whitt, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Ardmore, AL