This Is Auburn Office of the Registrar

Academic Warning/Appeals

  • Grade reports are issued at the end of each semester or two times during the academic year, fall and spring.
  • Academic Warning status is imposed at the end of any term for which the student's cumulative GPA on Auburn course work is below 2.00.
  • Any student who is on Academic Warning status will be placed on Academic Suspension if both of the following conditions apply:
    1. The term GPA is below a 2.2 and
    2. The cumulative GPA on Auburn course work is below that required for the designated number of hours earned as follows:
      • Freshmen - 1.50
      • Sophomores - 1.80
      • Juniors - 1.90
      • Seniors and 5th Year - 1.97
  • A student suspended at the end of spring semester is out of school for the following fall semester and can return in the spring semester, which begins in January.

All students including beginning freshmen and transfers are not subject to suspension until they have received one semester warning.

A student who incurs a First Academic Suspension may not enroll in the University for a minimum of one standard (15-week) academic term. While on suspension, students may not enroll during the summer term (e.g., students who incur a First Academic Suspension at the end of the Spring term are not eligible to return, at a minimum, before the following Spring term). A student who incurs a Second Academic Suspension may not enroll in the University for a minimum of two standard (15-week) academic terms (these students may not enroll during Summer term either before or while the suspension is being served). A student who incurs a Third Academic Suspension will be dismissed from the University. All students returning from academic suspension will be on academic warning status.

The main point is students have one semester on warning. If they go on warning at the end of fall and do not make their grades, they are suspended at the end of spring.

Given these changes, it is imperative if a student is placed on academic warning, that he/she seek assistance immediately. There are a number of things a student can do:

  • See an academic advisor
  • Come to any unit of the Student Success Center (Career Development Services, Academic Support, Student Counseling, Freshmen Year Experience)
  • Talk to faculty or associate deans in his/her college.
  • Specific question can be emailed to

A number of programs exist at Auburn to help the student. Seeking help at the first sign of trouble is the key to success.

Students on Academic Suspension may appeal the decision to the Academic Appeals Committee if they believe extraordinary circumstances merit an exception to the rules.

Instructions for Appealing an Academic Suspension

Policy: Undergraduate students who incur Academic Suspension under the rules detailed in the Auburn University Bulletin may appeal the decision to the Academic Appeals Committee if they believe that extraordinary circumstances merit an exception to the rules.

Directions: To file an appeal, provide the information requested on the online form and submit it electronically to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline below.

Application Portal and Deadline: The portal for submitting the online form will open on Tuesday, December 14, 2021, at 7:45 a.m. and close on Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 4:45 p.m. Appeals must be submitted during this time period. To access the form, click here.

Review of Appeals: The committee takes into consideration information provided by the student, including the student’s explanation of extraordinary circumstances; comments from the student’s advisor (if provided); and the student’s academic record.

Notification: The Academic Appeals committee typically meets during the week following final exams. Students will be notified by email after the Academic Appeals Committee has made a decision.

Questions: Email

Instructions for Appealing an Academic Dismissal

Policy: In general, undergraduate students who have been dismissed from the University may appeal their dismissal only after one calendar year has elapsed. In rare instances, students on dismissal who have a minimum grade point average of 1.85, are within 18 credit hours of graduation, and who demonstrate the appropriate changes in attitude necessary to be ready to complete their degree requirements may appeal to their academic dean for readmission.

Directions: To file an appeal, provide the information requested on the online form, obtain the required signature(s) of your academic dean(s), and return the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. Note that the academic dean may request additional information.

Deadline: Undergraduate students appealing an academic dismissal must sit out for one full year until they meet the criteria of a 1.85 cumulative GPA and are within 18 hours of completion of their degree. Otherwise, there are no restrictions on when an appeal may be submitted.

Review of Appeals: Appeals of dismissal are reviewed at the level of the academic dean. The completed form, indicating approval/disapproval is returned to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Notification: Students will be notified by email once the appeal has been processed.

Questions: Email

Academic Appeals Committee (Registrar)

The Academic Appeals Committee shall consist of the University Registrar, who shall serve as chair; Provost’s designee; Director of Academic Support Services; Director of University Advising; Director of Student Financial Services or designee; together with three faculty members. The committee shall recommend readmissions procedures for undergraduate students and shall act upon all appeals for readmission. (8 members)

Grade Adjustment Policy (GAP)

All regularly admitted undergraduate students, who were enrolled during Fall 2000, or after, may delete a maximum of three (3) course grades of D or F (including FA or U) associated with their undergraduate degree from the calculation of their grade point average.

GAP does not apply to the professional students in pharmacy and veterinary medicine.

All core courses and those courses required for a major must be met for graduation. If deleted through GAP, these required course must be repeated at Auburn University.

All courses for which a grade has been assigned will remain on the transcript. However, the notation will appear that the work is not included in the GPA.

Students interested in taking advantage of the Grade Adjustment Policy should contact their dean's office. A form is required to adjust grades. When the change has been made, it can not be changed back.

Change Social Security Number

Currently enrolled students who need to change their social security numbers do so by visiting the Office of the Registrar. To request a change, the student must provide a copy of the current social security card.

To change your social security number prior to freshmen or transfer orientation (prior to registration for your first term), please call 334-844-6429.


Withdrawal and Resignation Policy

Official withdrawal and resignation policy

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Please refer to Student Financial Services for Title IV Funds Policy information.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as the Buckley Amendment) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The Act provides the following rights to students:

  1. Students have the right to inspect and access their educational records.
  2. Students have the opportunity to have the records amended.
  3. Students have some control over the disclosure of information from their records.

The intent of the legislation is to protect the rights of students and ensure the privacy and accuracy of student records. The act applies to all institutions that are recipients of federal aid administered by the Secretary of Education.

Students who are currently or formerly enrolled, regardless of their age or status in regard to parental dependency, are protected. Students who have applied to, but have not attended an institution and deceased students, do not come under FERPA guidelines.

An educational record is any record from which a student can be personally identified, and is maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.

  • Student grade records
  • Financial aid records
  • Student account records
  • Admission application records
  • Transcripts

What is not an educational record?

  • Sole possession records or private notes held by school officials that are not accessible or released to other personnel.
  • Law enforcement or campus security records that are solely for law enforcement purposes and maintained solely by the law enforcement unit.
  • Records relating to individuals who are employed by the university (unless contingent upon attendance).
  • Records relating to treatment provided by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional and disclosed only to individuals providing treatment.
  • Records of an institution that contain information about an individual obtained only after that person is no longer a student at that institution, i.e., alumni records.
  • Financial information submitted by parents.
  • Confidential letters and recommendations placed in students’ files prior to January 1, 1975, provided these letters were collected under established policies of confidentiality and were used only for the purposes for which specifically collected.
  • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation, placed in students’ records after January 1, 1975, to which the student has waived his or her right to inspect and review and that are related to the students’ admission, application for employment or job placement, or receipt of honors.
  • Educational records containing information about more than one student; however, in such cases the institution must permit access to that part of the record which pertains only to the inquiring student.

Who may have access to student educational records?

  • The student and any outside party who has the student’s written permission.
  • School officials (as defined by the university) who have “legitimate educational interest.”
  • Parents/guardians who have been granted access to the student’s educational record through the Parent and Family Portal.
  • A person in response to a lawfully issued subpoena or court order, as long as the university first makes a reasonable attempt to notify the student. Normally the University will comply with a subpoena after two weeks have elapsed from the day the subpoena was received.

FERPA gives institution the discretion to share certain student records (Directory Information) to a third party without the student’s written consent. All other information is known as Non-Directory, which should never be shared with a third party without the student’s written consent.

Directory Information:

  • Student’s complete name
  • Telephone numbers
  • Addresses
  • Auburn University e-mail address
  • Participation in Recognized Activities and Sports
  • Photographs, video, or other electronic image (released only in connection with official A.U. publications)
  • Most recent Classification and Curriculum
  • Enrollment status (full or part time)
  • Term/Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Anything not listed as Directory Information may not be released to a third party without the student’s written consent. Some examples never to share without the student’s written permission:
    • GPA
    • Transcript
    • Class Schedule
    • Grades (including exam grades)
    • Social Security number
    • Academic holds
    • Financial/Scholarship information

What rights does FERPA afford students with respect to their educational records?

  • The right to inspect and review their educational records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access.
    • Student should submit to the Office of the Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access to and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained in the Office of the Registrar, the Registrar will advise the student of the correct official to whom that request should be addressed.
  • The right to request an amendment to the students’ educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading, if they do so within one year of the term in question. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, he/she will be notified of the decision and advised of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for an amendment.
    • The students should write the Office of the Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.
    • Additional information regarding a hearing will be provided to the student when notified of his/her right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
    • One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or a person assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.
    • A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
    • Family Policy Compliance Office
    • U.S. Department of Education
    • U.S. Department of Education
    • Washington, D.C. 20202-4605