To receive consideration for need based scholarships, your FAFSA must be received by AU no later than March 28. All documents required to process your aid must be completed and received by our office no later than March 28 in order to receive maximum consideration for Federal Work Study and Federal SEOG Grants.

Please note that an early application will not guarantee eligibility for these funds because they are extremely limited. Applications received after March 28 will be processed on a first come, first served basis if funds are still available.

Thirty percent of all aid applicants are selected for verification and verified by our office through review of tax documents. This is to ensure that your FAFSA was completed correctly. Your FAFSA Submission Summary will tell you if you have been selected.

We will request copies of student (parent/spouse, if applicable) tax returns and a Verification Web Form. This request will be sent to your AU email address. Instructions will direct you to your Student Forms Portal to submit the required information. Please complete the requirements as soon as possible. If not provided within 60 days of the request, your file will be marked inactive and no aid offer will be made.

Our office will make corrections to your FAFSA Submission Summary, if necessary, as a result of verification. You will be notified by the Federal Processor and/or our office either with a corrected FAFSA Submission Summary or a revised Aid Offer. This process will result in a 2-3 week delay. A FAFSA that is completed correctly will not require corrections.

There are federal regulations regarding financial aid eligibility for repeat courses. Courses previously passed may be repeated and counted towards federal aid eligibility. However, students may repeat a previously passed course only once. In other words, the 3rd attempt at a previously passed course will NOT count toward minimum credit hour requirements for federal aid.

Example 1:
Aubie would like to improve his GPA by retaking Calculus I. He received a C for the class last fall, but he is allowed to re-take the course to receive a better grade. If he takes the class again, the credits from this class may be counted towards determining his eligibility for federal aid. But if Aubie attempts the course a third time, that course would not count toward his required number of hours for aid.

Example 2:
Aubie has taken Thermodynamics twice, receiving a D both times. His major requires a C in this course so he must attempt it a third time. The third and subsequent attempts at this course would not count toward his required number of hours for aid.

Example 3:
Aubie loves Psychology. He earned a B on his first attempt, had to withdraw on his second attempt and would like to attempt it again to try to earn an A. The third and subsequent attempts at this course would not count toward his required number of hours for aid.

It is important to note that certain courses such as Thesis and Dissertation are exempt from this regulation.

When calculating a student's federal financial aid eligibility, Auburn University is required to account for all non-payroll remuneration provided to the student by Auburn. As such, any remuneration awarded to a student by an Auburn University department or campus organization must be reported to the Student Financial Aid Office so that it may be considered as a resource when determining the student's federal financial aid eligibility. Such remuneration may require a reduction in the amount of federal student aid already awarded/disbursed to the student.

It is important to note that the value of any remuneration provided to an AU student must be reported to the Student Financial Aid Office, whether cash or cash equivalent (gift cards, gift certificates, gift vouchers). Remuneration includes, but is not limited to: cash and cash equivalent awards earned through a competitive award process; cash and cash equivalent payments earned for participating in research studies and surveys, etc.

All payment vouchers containing payments to AU students should be routed to the Student Financial Aid Office for review. Following review, the Financial Aid office will forward the vouchers to PBS for payment processing. For those students receiving financial aid, the student will receive the full payment however the value of the award will be reported as a resource and adjustments to the student's aid package will be made, if necessary. If a student is receiving remuneration through a cash equivalent, the value of such must be reported to the Financial Aid office as a resource and adjustments to the student's aid package will be made, if necessary.

Please contact finaid7@auburn.edu with questions.

Federal aid funds, such as Pell grant and federal student/parent loans, can be used for an approved program of study abroad as long as you have appropriate documentation from Auburn Abroad and meet other requirements as determined by Student Financial Aid. You must contact Student Financial Aid to determine if you meet the requirements to receive your federal aid for your program abroad.

Gilman Scholarship
The Gilman scholarship is an external scholarship offered to undergraduate students who are receiving Pell grant. You must submit your FAFSA annually to determine if you are Pell grant eligible. Please visit Gilman Scholarship for more information, such as eligibility criteria and application deadlines. Contact Auburn Abroad for additional information and assistance.

Additional Study Abroad Scholarships
Information on other scholarship opportunities available specifically for study abroad can be found at Auburn Abroad - Money Matters.

University Scholarships
Contact the Office of University Scholarships if you have a university scholarship and would like to see if the funds can be used for a semester abroad.

Contact Info:

Auburn Abroad
243 Foy Hall

Office of University Scholarships
115 Quad Center

Student Financial Aid
203 Martin Hall

The Cooperative Education Program offers students the opportunity to alternate semesters of full-time study and work related to the student's major. Information is available from:

Cooperative Education
1133 Brown Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center
Auburn University, AL 36849

Students are not eligible to receive aid during their co-op term(s).

Air Force, Army, and Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps programs provide scholarships to eligible students. For eligibility criteria and other information, contact the appropriate unit at:

William F. Nichols Center
Auburn University, AL 36849

  • Air Force - 334-844-4355

  • Army - 334-844-4305

  • Navy - 334-844-4364

Graduate Students Enrolled ONLY in Thesis/Dissertation Course
Graduate students enrolled for only 1 hour of Thesis/Dissertation may qualify for full time status with enrollment in the 0 credit Thesis/Dissertation Completion course. The application for this course should be completed each term as needed and is available on the Graduate School Forms page.

Provisionally Accepted Graduate Students
Graduate students who are admitted provisionally pending test scores or other requirements (GP classification) are not eligible for aid. Once officially admitted, students seeking a Master's degree are classified as GR.

Students Seeking Graduate Certificate
Students must be pursuing a degree in order to receive federal aid. Students who are pursuing only a Graduate Certificate are not eligible for federal aid. Students pursuing only a certificate may apply for a private/alternative loan.

Transfer students should follow the same application procedures as new and current students. If you transfer mid year, you must notify us of any aid received at another institution.

Use the Federal Estimator to estimate your Federal Aid eligibility.

Last updated: 02/08/2024