Many Auburn students earn money through either on-campus or off-campus part-time employment to assist with education and living expenses. By working 10-20 hours per week, students can reduce their need to borrow additional funds for college.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) is a need-based federally funded program where students are paid bi-weekly for their work. To apply, students can request application details by emailing

Funding is limited. Priority is given to students who:

  • Submit all FAFSA requirements by the priority deadline,
  • Demonstrate exceptional unmet need,
  • Participated in FWS the previous academic year
  • Complete all FWS application materials prior to June 1

To be eligible and maintain a federal work-study position, students must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program, meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress, be available for 10-20 hours of work per week, and maintain good communication and conduct as determined by the supervisor or university office.

FWS employees may not work during scheduled class times. Payroll hours may not exceed 20 hours per week during terms of enrollment.

On-Campus Student Employment

General Student Employment is available without the need to complete the FAFSA. Further information about student employment can be found on Weagle Workers.

Off-Campus Student Employment

Alabama Works! is a valuable resource for finding part-time positions, and local job classified ads can be searched in the Opelika-Auburn News.

Documents You Will Need

It is important for students seeking employment to know that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services requires employers to verify the employment eligibility of all new employees. New hires, including Work Study employees, must therefore complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, or Form I-9, and present to their employer supporting documents to establish identity as well as employment eligibility. These documents might typically be a passport, a driver's license or school id with picture, and a social security card or a certified birth certificate. Hiring agencies are required to view the original documents, so faxes or photocopies are not acceptable

Please be sure to bring these documents with you if you plan to work. International students may contact the Office of International Education in 228 Foy Hall for assistance in securing the necessary documents for work eligibility

Last updated: 02/08/2024