As a land-grant institution, Auburn University readily accepts its role in helping to shape a better tomorrow for everyone. This responsibility has been clearly articulated in the university’s Sustainability Policy, reaffirmed in the strategic plan, and measured by our Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System performance.
Procurement plays a critical role in upholding these commitments and meeting our responsibilities both on campus and beyond. Auburn University understands the connections between what we buy, the quality of life humans experience, and the health of the planet we depend upon. As such, we have worked with campus stakeholders and our key suppliers to provide opportunities to act on our values and commitments.
- PBS supports efforts to integrate sustainability measures into Requests for Proposals. These measures can be for attributes of the goods/service provided, and also for the organization(s) commitments and practices. If you want to explore how sustainability intersects with your specific RFP, please let us know.
- PBS also encourages the embodiment of these commitments when making regular expenditures. Through our preferred supplier contracts, the university has secured access to, and in many cases discounted prices for, products that meet rigorous, third-party verified sustainability standards. We encourage you to explore, and when possible, purchase products that meet various sustainability standards.
- Another way you can advance the university’s sustainability efforts is by making carbon-conscious choices when traveling. Auburn University travel policy allows travelers to carpool, use public transit and bike/rideshares, and rent electric/hybrid vehicles.
PBS has partnered with the Office of Sustainability to provide additional guidance on how you can integrate sustainability into your purchasing practices. We encourage you to visit the Sustainable Purchasing webpage for more information on:
- the university’s stated preferences for office paper, cleaning products, electronics, and vehicle rentals;
- how to find sustainable products through some of our preferred suppliers;
- types of sustainability product certifications;
- how Auburn performs on key sustainable purchasing metrics;
- and other sustainable purchasing tips and resources.
By keeping these university commitments and tips in mind when purchasing, you’ll be helping Auburn meet a range of goals while also contributing to a better tomorrow.